Upon arriving in Florida, I was greeted by my nieces and the next two days consisted of making (and eating) Christmas cookies. Surely, the last thing you dear readers are desiring right now after the big holiday food splurge is a cookie recipes, however; you can print this one out and save for next year. It is called Peanut Butter Blossom. This recipe is from a fellow teacher I met back in 1998. The cookies are super easy to make and have always been a huge hit. Enjoy. See you next year.
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt.
1 package of Hershey kisses
*granulated sugar to roll dough in*
1. Cream shortening and peanut butter; add sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture, blend well.
3. Shape dough into 1″ balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. (Parchment paper worked great) Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and place on waxed paper. Immediately top each cookie with Hershey Kiss. Press down lightly, yet firmly enough so that the cookie cracks around the edges.
5. Allow cookie/candy to cool long enough for candy to harden again.